Thursday, September 11, 2008

Never forget

I remember the first day that I arrived in NYC to my post on the CGC Dallas on Governor's Island, where the towers commanded the Manhattan skyline. Walk around the island and you got a great view of Lady Liberty herself.

Then, fast forward, to 9-11-01. I was in my first year at the University of Alabama. I woke up that day, as any other, turned on the TV and saw this:

I was horrified beyond the ability to react. And in that moment, without a doubt, I knew this was NO accident. It was an act of terrorism.

And then the skies, where one could see a jetliner streaking across the contrail belt at any given second, were silent for days afterward.

I still haven't forgotten that day or the dread I felt. I still remember that extremists plotted and are still plotting against us. Don't forgot. Don't take a dip in the River Lethe as our friends on the left have done. Don't forget those lives lost that day. Don't forgot the bravery of Flight 93's passengers who took the first steps in a long war that will be going on long after most of us leave the world.

Don't forget.

No comments: