Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Brings back memories

It' s hard to believe that it was 15 years ago that I arrived on Oct. 12, 1993 on a little spit of land sticking out into Delaware Bay called Cape May. I was a skinny little wimpy lad, not the boastful, proud, arrogant, muscular creature I am now. I was a mommy's boy then.

It might as well have been Cape Fear. I remember the sick, squishy feeling in my guts on that bus ride from the Philly Airport to Cape May. I also remember that company commander boarding and in the most loud voice (aside from my own) I've ever heard, yelling:

GET OFF MY BUS!

Thus began eight weeks of merriment, "pushups, situps and all that good stuff," and plenty of love and attention from the C.C's (drill instructors in Coastie speak). It was like summer camp, only more demented. You had to memorize the contents of this and keep it folded in your sock.

I came across this video on youtube and I think it gives a good taste of what it's really like.



The chief speaking is one I served with on the Big D, aka the White Needle of Death. Hilarious!


Here's another.



It's hard to believe this July 17, I will have been out for 10 years. 10 years! I remember running down that pier to the moving truck and waving goodbye to those three month cruises forever.

No comments: